Alangulam is a panchayat town and the headquarters of Alangulam taluk (Tehsil) in Tirunelveli district, Tamil Nadu, India. It is one of the rapid growing town as it serves as a trade activity hub for the nearby villages. It has an added advantage of connected to Tirunelveli, Tenkasi and Ambasamudram by roads which makes it as an important business center in the district. Alangulam has a small hill which is known as Okkanindranpothai Malai which in Tamil means that standing on the tip of the foot. There is a folklore that Lord Rama stood on the top of this hill with the tip of his foot and looked around the area in search of Sita devi. There is a small village next to Alangulam which is called as Mayamankurichi which in Tamil means the place where the mysterious deer vanished which supports the folklore. There is a small Lord Rama temple on the top of the hill against Lord Muruga who is the deity of hills in Tamil Nadu.
Alangulam is located at 8.87°N 77.5°E. It is situated at an average elevation of 127 metres (416 feet).
As of 2001 India census, Alangulam had a population of around 17,922 as per the 2001 census. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Alangulam has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 54% of the males and 46% of females literate. 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Alangulam is assembly constituency of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly. Presently this constituency is represented by Mr.P.G.Rajendran
Firkas under Alangualm Taluk
Being headquarters of Alangulam taluka under Tirunelveli district, its jurisdiction is further divided into following five Firka for administrative purposes.
Villages under Alangualm Panchayat Union
The following villages come under one umbrella of Alangulam Panchayat union for local development and public relations of Govt. of Tamil Nadu.
- Keelapatamudiyar Puram
- Navaneetha Krishna Puram
- Seevalapuram – Karadiyudaipoo
- Vadakku Kavalakurichi
The area has a number of people involved in agriculture. The place now has become a good location for settlement for teachers who work in the district and for other government workers because of its connectivity to other parts 24*7. The place is noted for the self-employed beedi workers here. Most of the women are involved in beedi making. Alangulam which is also known as small China town for supplying Vegetable’s throughout South India. Our Vegetable market trading 24×7 supplies. The rice which is made here is processed by the Rice mills in the locality and is sent to Kerala since the quality of rice produced is the desired variety by the people of Kerala.The area has two Soap companies in this locality.Alangulam has its own treasury which is functioning right now in Alangulam Taluk office.A court is to be constructed soon.
Alangulam is well connected by state highway roads to Tirunelveli (31 km) located in east, to Tenkasi (23 km) located in west and to Ambasamudram (19 km) located in south. Mini bus facilities also available for nearest villages such as Vadamalaipatty, Nalloor, Aladipatti, ayyanaarkulam, Maruthammuthur, poolangulam, nettur, nallur, puthupatti etc.
Banking and financial institutions
- Canara Bank
- Indian Bank
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank
- Pandian Grama Bank
- Co operative society bank
Literacy rate in Alangulam is quite good and over 69% of people are litrated.
- Canara Bank (opposite to Sri Ramakrishna Matric.Hr.Sec School)
- Indian Bank (Opposite to Taluk office)
- Tamil Nadu Mercantile Bank
The schools in the location are
- Sri Ramakrishna Matriculation higher secondary school, Alangulam
- Government Higher Secondary School, Alangulam.
- West Tirunelveli Higher Secondary School,Nallur.
- St.Joseph matriculation school, Alangulam.
- Annai Saradhamani Primary School, Alangulam.
- T.D.T.A middle school,Near Market, Alangulam.
- T.D.T.A primary school,Natham, Alangulam.
- Jesus Loves primary school, Alangulam.
- Archwell Primary school, Alangulam.
- Jeeva Montessori School, Alangulam.
- S M A Matriculation school, Adaikalapattanam (A unit of Sri Muppudathi Amman Educational Institutions)
- C.M.S Arunodhya middle school, NALLUR.
- Sardar Raja College of Engineering
- CSI Jayaraj Annapackiam College, Nallur., Alangulam Taluk
- Einstein college of Engineering
- Aladi Aruna College of Nursing, Sivalarkulam
- St. Mariam Polytechnic College, Sivalarkulam
- Sri Muppidathi Amman College of education, Adaikalapatinam
- St.Johns Techer Training Institution, Maranthai.
- Diwan ITI, Maranthai.
Entertainment and leisure
Alangulam has one Cinema Theater named Laxmi Narayana’ which is equipped with QUBE digital system and DIGITAL surround sound effects. And lots of playgrounds are here for youngsters and childeren to play.Most of them entertain themselves by swimming in the well or else spending time with gardening.