Veerakeralampudur is a taluk in Tirunelveli district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
Agriculture is the main occupation. Most of the people work in farm fields and rolling Beedi. The main crops are paddy, onion, tomato, brinjal, tamarind, green chili, red chili, coconut.It is also known for its vast paddy and coconut fields. Most of the last generation of residents were farmers; however, many are now employed in various parts of India and in foreign countries such as the United States, Singapore, Malaysia and the Persian Gulf.
Geography and Climate
It has an average elevation of 101 meters above mean sea level. The climate is dry and hot, with Southwest monsoon rains during October–December. Temperatures during summer reach a maximum of 40 and a minimum of 26.3 °C, though temperatures over 43 °C are not uncommon. Winter temperatures range between 29.6 and 18 °C. The average annual rainfall is about 85 cm.
The village is surrounded by two rivers Chittar River and Hanumanathi. Both Hanumanathi and Chittar River merges rightly exactly in this village thus forming the major tributary to Thamirabarani River.
Veerakeralampudur – Rural
|Main Agricultural labourer||778||588||190||22.78||756|
|Main Workers in household industries||1373||67||1306||40.19||19493|
|Main Other Workers||743||647||96||21.75||273|
|Marginal Agricultural labourers||87||71||16||74.36||225|
|Marginal Workers in Household industries||4||1||3||3.42||3000|
|Marginal Other Workers||16||13||3||13.68||231|
Temples in Veerakeralampudur
- Arulmigu Navaneetha Krishna Swamy Temple – (Golden dwajasthambha(kodimaram) is in this temple)
- Arulmigu Iruthalaya Eswarar Alayam (sivan temple)
- Arulmigu Uchimahali Amman Temple
- Arulmigu Vadakkuvasal Selvi amman Temple
- Arulmigu Karuppanna swamy Temple
- Arulmigu Muppidathi Amman Temple
- Good Shepherd Assembly Church (Pentecostal)
- R.C. Church (Church of St. Xavier)
- C.S.I. Church
- Mosque (near North bus stop)
Factories T Ganapathy Modern Rice Mills in Veeranam road
- Government Hr. sec School
- Anna Boys Hr. sec School
- St. Antony’s Hr. sec School
- RC Primary School
- Government Primary School
- Anna Primary School
Colleges Near Veerakeralampudur
- Government ITI – Veerakeralampudur
- Anna Teacher Training Institute, Veerakeralampudur
- Sardar Raja Engineering College,(6 km from Veerakeralampudur)Tenkasi-Alangulam road, Athiuttru, Tamizhlur, Alangulam.
- Government College of Arts & Science (Surandai) (6 km from Veerakeralampudur)
- M.S.P.V.L.Polytechnic (10 km from Veerakeralampudur), Pavoorchatram
- Senthiandavar Polytechnic (12 km from Veerakeralampudur), Ayikudi – Tenkasi
- Sattanathar Karaiyalar arts college Tenkasi
- J.P College of Engineering (12 km from Veerakeralampudur), Ayikudi – Tenkasi
- J.P Arts & Science College (12 km from Veerakeralampudur), Ayikudi – Tenkasi
- irshath college of engineering(veeranam),veerakeralampudur
- Sri Navaneethekrishna Swamy Temple Car Festival.