Veeravanallur is a selection grade special panchayat town in Tirunelveli district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
As of 2001 India census, Veeravanallur had a population of 19,681. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Veeravanallur has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 69%. In Veeravanallur, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age. Bhoominatha swamy temple is famous here. The Cannadian canal runs across it.Veeravanallur has a number of Tanks and ponds which was extensively used for Irrigation in those days. It has one Govt.Hr.Sec.School named as Bharathiar Govt.Hr.Sec.School. Veeravanallur is surrounded by canndaian canal and Thamirabarani river, so this village is always cool and green.It also had a significant presence of wild animals in nearby forests, which in course of time disappeared due to extensive deforestation. Pattamadai, which is famous for Pai(Silk mat) is a few kilometres from Veeravanallur.
The Tamil words of this village “veera” stands for “courage” and “nallur” corresponds to “Good town”. Nearby villages Thirupudaimaruthur, Arikesavanallur.
Higher Secondary Schools
- St. Johns Hr. Sec. School
- R.C. Middle School
- Thirugnana sambathar Middle School
- Panchayat Union Middle School
- Indira Nursery and Primary School
- Sarada Vidyalayam Yadava Primary School
- Shri Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavatar, a celebrated musician and twentieth-century composer of Carnatic Music, lived a few years of his life in Viravanallur.
- Dr.N.Madhu Sankar, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Madras Medical Mission Hospital, Chennai. He led the first ever successful heart-lung transplantation surgery in South Asia. He studied in Bharathiyar Govt Hr. Sec School, Veeravanallur.
- Shri Ayya Bagavadhar.
- Thiru S.K. Palanisamy, President of Veeravanallur Town Panchayat.
- V V Sadagopan who was a famous Tamil film actor in 1940s and also excelled in carnatic classical music, writing and generally accepted to be a multi-faected personality spent his childhood in this town though it is not known if he was born here. Sadagopan was born in January 1915 and went to Delhi in 1940s to teach music after his acting years in Chennai and he used to give concerts in Chennai regularly. He disappeared suddenly in 1980 during one of the trips from Delhi to Chennai and nobody knows his whereabouts as to whether he is still alive or has passed away. Let us hope he makes a surprising appearance in 2015 as this is his birth centenary year.
Famous Computer Center there:’ NETPOINT internet cafe is a one of the famous computer center, Internet, Voice and Videochat, WIFI Access, Computer mobile repairs doing very Well. They give free Wifi Access in his surrounding area.
Bhoominatha Swamy Temple is one of the oldest temples in Tamil Nadu, and Kadayamman Temple along with green view of Paddy field and Cannadian canal enriches beauty of Veeravanallur. There is a Church inside the R C Middle school, is quite famous and one of the old churches in the District. Vandimalaichi amman Temple, Sri Santhanamariamman Temple, Sri Kambalathamman Temple and Renganatha Swami Temple are the famous temples situated in here.
There is a famous Vishnu temple – Sundaraja Perumal main deity. Years back, festivals were conducted grandly, presently requires renovation. The MAHASAMPROKSHANAM (Renovation) of this temple was performed on 18 March 2013, after a gap of 101 years.
Located between elevations ranging from 1000 to 1500 Metres, the Manjolai area is set deep within the Western Ghats within the Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve in the Tirunelveli District. Located on top of the Manimuthar Dam & the Manimuthar Water Falls, the Manjolai area comprises Tea Plantations, Small settlements around the tea plantations; Upper Kodaiyar Dam and a windy view point called Kuthiravetti
The Tea Plantations and the whole of Manjolai Estates are tea operated by The Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation Ltd on Forest Lands leased by the Government of Tamil Nadu. There are 3 Tea Estates within the Manjolai area – Manjolai Estate, Manimutharu Estate & Oothu Estate. The Estates are located on elevations ranging between 2300 Feet to 4200 Feet. The estates, road & the settlements in the Manjolai area are managed by The Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation Ltd. Images of Manjolai Hills can be viewed at here