Surandai is a panchayat town in Tirunelveli district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
A fast-growing town in Tirunelveli district, Surandai serves as a centre of trade for several nearby villages.
Surandai was located in the Veerakeralampudur taluk of Tirunelveli, at the foot of the Western Ghats. Surandai panchayat town comprised main Surandai and KeelaSurandai, Aladipatti, Bangalow Surandai and some of Anaikulam (Pavanasapuram).The first surandai name was Raja Sooriya Nallur next changed Suranthai some recently 50 years called surandai.
Surandai is located at 8.97°N 77.4°E. It has an average elevation of 132 metres (433 feet). It is situated 12 km away from Tenkasi and 50 km from Tirunelveli, District Head. The nearest railway station is Tenkasi and the nearest airport is Madurai, 138 km from Surandai. Surandai panchayat town comprised Surandai and KeelaSurandai, Aladipatti, Bangalow Surandai and part of Ammayapuram. Surandai, which was once a village with primarily agricultural and Palm tree cultivation with allied activities, presently has grown into a bustling centre for complete trade and business for nearby Panchayats.
As of 2007 India census, Surandai Panchayat had a population of 28,135. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Surandai has an average literacy rate of 65%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 73%, and female literacy is 57%. In Surandai, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Polygar rule and the Revolts
As the Dalavay Mudali, the governor of Tirunelveli, became increasingly independent of Madurai during the time of troubles that began in 1732, the Marava polygars of the province openly defied the Dalavay’s authority and stopped paying tribute. Polygar Kattari Velladurai was the leader of the defiant polygars from Vadagarai, Nerkattumseval ruled by Puli Thevan and Sivagiri. Surandai was one of the palayams that joined Puli Thevar’s coalition in 1754-1762 but abandoned the cause before the polygars’ final defeat in 1762. When Kollamkondan again rebelled in 1764, following the execution of Yusuf Khan for having betrayed the nawab, Surandai was quick to join. Victories over the Anglo-Nawabi forces helped the revolt spread to other polygars. At the end of the First Polygar War in 1799, the polygar of Surandai surrendered one fort and 61 armed men to Major J. Bannerman.
The Palaiyam survived into the 19th century as a Zamindari; at the time of the permanent settlement of 1802, Polygar Sulava Tevar held seven villages. In 1879, the zamindari had an area of 1.34 sq. miles, and a population of 2,580; it was bought by Uthumalai and annexed to that estate in 1874.
Surandai post independence has grown as a commercial town and fastest-growing commercial hub of west tirunelveli stretch.